Located on the top floor of the Harriston Library, the Minto Heritage Gallery exhibits local art and other collections throughout the year. It is entirely non-profit and run by the Minto Arts Council, whose members make up many of the gallery’s volunteers and promoters. The gallery has been a showcase of local talent and expression since 1997.
Cedarwood Honey is a local honey business offering a variety of products and services. They are located on Highway 89, just outside of Harriston.
Dr. John FtizGerald (1882-1940) was born in Drayton, Ontario. In 1891 his family moved to Harriston and occupied 88 John Street South from 1894 to 1902.
Built in 1864: Original owner was Alexander Meiklejohn.
Reroot Organic Farm covers 70 acres of land and sells a wide variety of vegetables, fruits, herbs and honey. Chicken, turkey and pork are also available, as well as free-range eggs. All of their produce is certified organic and they offer a community shared agriculture program.
Located on the main street of Harriston, Davie’s Antiques has offered antique furnishings, collectibles, books, china and other items for over twenty years.
Don “Tuffy” MacDougall served “B” Troop of the 100th Light, Anti-Aircraft Battery out of
Guelph from March 1941 through “Cease Fire” May 8 1945 into September of 1945. The
100th was part of the 4th Canadian Infantry Division. Tuffy’s military story is mostly about
times with people away from the war and with those he served. He spoke less about combat
details. Those who knew Tuffy said he was about people and his experiences around them.
Rural Spoon Café is a small café located in the rural community of Palmerston. This delightful little café offers a delicious all-day breakfast menu, along with a variety of great lunch options including wraps, sandwiches, soups, salads and much more; not to mention some of the best homemade butter tarts in the area!
The Norgan is a restored movie theatre located in downtown Palmerston. It features newly released films, special events, and concerts. It is also home to Palmerston’s Big Film Fest, a monthly film screening featured on the Toronto International Film Festival’s Film Circuit.
In 1871, the grand Western Railway line through Palmerston was completed. Although the railway helped the local economy, the expansion of the rail yard through Queen Street posed a serious threat to pedestrians. To ensure public safety, the Railway Commission of Canada ordered the town to close Queen Street and in 1911 the Grand Trunk built a 700' steel pedestrian bridge over the yard. The yard closed, and in 1998 the town purchased the site.
The sole remaining pedestrian railway bridge in Ontario, the Palmerston Railway Pedestrian Bridge was originally built in 1912 to allow schoolchildren safe passage over the railway tracks. Now it serves as a symbol of Palmerston’s railway heritage and as the signature feature of the Lions Heritage Park. The Pedestrian Bridge turned one hundred years old in 2012.
Located on the top floor of the Harriston Library, the John Webb Room is the Harriston Historical Society’s largest collection of historical documents and artifacts.
Built in 1874: Original home of John & Jane Bolton.
Built in 1894: Original home of Robert Grieves.
Built in 1879: Original home of Richard & Ann Dowling.
Built in 1867: Original owner was J. E. Boomer.
Wild Things Plant Farm has a wide variety of native and exotic plant species on display in their gardens, greenhouses and along their walking trail.