The renovated Harriston Train Station serves as a seniors' centre and the location of the Harriston Farmers' Market. It is located on Arthur Street in Harriston.
The CNRA Clubhouse is located on Main Street, Palmerston.
Frank Lambier Court dedication ceremony in Palmerston with Mayor Bridge, Legion Branch 409 representatives and the Lambier family.
The Palmerston Library is located on the corner of Bell and James Street. Its features include spacious reading areas and readily available access to computers.
The Harriston Library is a renovated Carnegie building retaining much of its beautiful, original architecture. Besides the main floor library, the basement contains a full kitchen, meeting room and stage. The upper floor holds both the Minto Heritage Gallery and a Harriston Historical Society collection.
Newly constructed in 2006, the Clifford branch of the Wellington County Library features an expanded library area as well as a separate medical clinic.
Located on the top floor of the Harriston Library, the Minto Heritage Gallery exhibits local art and other collections throughout the year. It is entirely non-profit and run by the Minto Arts Council, whose members make up many of the gallery’s volunteers and promoters. The gallery has been a showcase of local talent and expression since 1997.
Dr. John FtizGerald (1882-1940) was born in Drayton, Ontario. In 1891 his family moved to Harriston and occupied 88 John Street South from 1894 to 1902.
Don “Tuffy” MacDougall served “B” Troop of the 100th Light, Anti-Aircraft Battery out of
Guelph from March 1941 through “Cease Fire” May 8 1945 into September of 1945. The
100th was part of the 4th Canadian Infantry Division. Tuffy’s military story is mostly about
times with people away from the war and with those he served. He spoke less about combat
details. Those who knew Tuffy said he was about people and his experiences around them.
The Norgan is a restored movie theatre located in downtown Palmerston. It features newly released films, special events, and concerts. It is also home to Palmerston’s Big Film Fest, a monthly film screening featured on the Toronto International Film Festival’s Film Circuit.
Reverend john Smithurst was ordained by the Church of England in 1939 and served as a missionary to the aboriginal people at the Red River Settlements in Manitoba for twelve years. He settled in the Township of Minto in 1852 when he was appointed Rector of St. John's Anglican church in Elora, Ontario.
In 1871, the grand Western Railway line through Palmerston was completed. Although the railway helped the local economy, the expansion of the rail yard through Queen Street posed a serious threat to pedestrians. To ensure public safety, the Railway Commission of Canada ordered the town to close Queen Street and in 1911 the Grand Trunk built a 700' steel pedestrian bridge over the yard. The yard closed, and in 1998 the town purchased the site.
The sole remaining pedestrian railway bridge in Ontario, the Palmerston Railway Pedestrian Bridge was originally built in 1912 to allow schoolchildren safe passage over the railway tracks. Now it serves as a symbol of Palmerston’s railway heritage and as the signature feature of the Lions Heritage Park. The Pedestrian Bridge turned one hundred years old in 2012.
Located on the top floor of the Harriston Library, the John Webb Room is the Harriston Historical Society’s largest collection of historical documents and artifacts.