Plaque #H31 Heritage Home

163 John St N, Harriston
Plaque #H31 Heritage Home


1882; Original home of Alexander Wyness, Store Merchant


Brief History:

This lot was the site of the J.B. Preston lumber yard prior to the construction of this house in 1882.  Assessment records show the house here in 1882, not transferred until 1883 and not registered until 1886.  This residence was renovated in later years with an addition built on the back for apartments.  Mr. Wyness was a merchant and his shop was in the Meiklejohn Block at lot 27 Elora St. N.

Former Owners:

1882 Alex Wyness, 1886 Martha & Samuel Groff, 1893 John Collison (owner of the Collison House), 1902 William Fitzgerald, 1908 Rev. W.M. Mackay, 1914 Christopher Quarry, 1944 Elizabeth Mulligan, 1948 Isobel McIntyre, 1950 Charles Martin, 1957 Bessie Davis, 1965 Mary H. Lyons, 1968 Frank & C. David, 1985 Catherine David, 1987 to a partnership group.

Filter Locations